09 May 2012

Sea Mustard Soup

Health and food month is proving to be a bit difficult here in Korea. For one thing, when I try to get the kids to talk about what they had for breakfast, I get a bunch of blank stares. I think part of the problem is that they only know the foods in Korean and eat a lot of foods that there isn't an English translation for (or they don't know it). I managed to get "sea mustard soup" out of one girl as her breakfast meal. I have no idea what that is, but it doesn't really sound like an appetizing breakfast to me. Another one said rice, which also doesn't seem that tasty in the morning. That also means they have rice for at least breakfast and lunch (we have it everyday at lunch) and I'm guessing they probably have it at dinner as well. That is a shit ton of rice. I eat the rice once every few weeks...I can't imagine eating it for every meal of the day.

Every day we have a "password" and the kids are supposed to keep repeating it all day. It's basically just another stupid thing we have to worry about during the day. Yesterday's was "I had breakfast this morning," which is why we were discussing breakfast food. I loved today's password, "lunch was delicious" for a couple of reasons. One, it was boiled octopus day, along with kimchi and rice, of course. So, I don't really think lunch really was all that delicious, but whatever, I don't make the passwords. But also, the kids saying it was cracking me up so much. Delicious is a pretty long and grown up word for them and it was pretty hilarious to hear them all saying it. Plus, now, they all say, "jacky teacher, delicious!" for the snack or whatever instead of "yummy." They grow up so fast.

I really do like school, but damn if they don't make us do SO much stuff. Pretty much every day something new gets added onto my to do list and it never all gets done. I wouldn't mind so much if we didn't have to do the stupid after school classes. What bothers me about those is there is no book or anything so I just have to find stupid crap to do for an hour and a half. Whatever, enough complaining.

We got two new students this week. One is a little girl and her dad was a famous soccer player in Korea and is now on the Korean version of Dancing With the Stars. (*note: this may not be true. I just spent the better part of an hour looking for this guy and found nothing. It's what I was told, but my school is full of crap sometimes) I can't wait to meet him so we can discuss our TV star lifestyles. Also awesome, she has a brother who's English name is Messi. Pretty fantastic. Her name is not after anyone cool...that I know of anyway. Messi is a super famous soccer player for Barcelona and he just broke some major goal scoring record recently. You can also see him in the 'Waka Waka' video from the World Cup 2010. He's the one with the really bad hair. Anyway, I guess the dad is a fan. I've heard from another teacher they knew a kid named Totti, who is a famous soccer player for Roma. Cracks me up.

Anyway, went to Zumba last night! Super fun, so glad I found a class here. It's pretty far to get to, but I think it'll be fun if my friends go as well. It wasn't as fun as in LA, but it might have been because it was in a teeny tiny bar with a pretty crappy sound system instead of a gym, but whatever.

So, yeah, I'm done with this post. I just realized how boring and stupid it is. Sorry friends.

Dream big people!

No comments:

Post a Comment