10 March 2017

Moana

Ok, so I recently re-visted the list of movies and I got a little overwhelmed. Mainly because I feel like I should be going in some sort of order. My life needs order. That is the whole point of doing this, and not having any set order for this project is a bit..anxiety inducing. I did these first three based on movies I'd watched recently but what should the future look like? I don't know! Mainly because with the live action Beauty and the Beast coming up, I feel like I should write about the original soon. Or should I see the new one and write about them together, as a comparison?! What to doooooo? This completely unimportant, pointless project is bringing me some stress! But! It is keeping my mind occupied, which was the entire point so I'm going to do put on a heated eye mask and re-evaluate my life choices.

Ok, I feel better now. And I am going to just carry on however I want because I have a lot of "other" things to do and shouldn't worry about the order of these pointless blog posts.

Moana!



I was really excited to see this movie, because I am excited to see all Disney movies, and because getting to see them in theaters is especially fun. I saw it with a friend a few weeks ago and I'm already thinking this is going to be a bit nonsensical since I have a terrible memory.

Since it's the most recent one to come out in this age of over saturation, I don't think there are many things I can say about it that you don't already know. So, for my personal opinions, I loved it! The music was fabulous and I am really happy that Disney is getting more diverse. I don't think I ever had illusions that I would ever look, act, or sound like a Disney princess when I was younger, but I imagine it's ...frustrating..disheartening (? I don't want to try and articulate an experience I haven't had) to not have any movie characters look like you growing up. Obviously Moana isn't everyone, and doesn't solve all representation issues, but I like what they're doing. Branching out, including other cultures, accurately and educationally. Oh, but I did definitely walk down the street in my neighborhood singing Ariel's song when she gets her voice taken, hoping that passersby would think I had provided her voice in the movie. Yeah, really. I did that.

Anyway. I am also SUPER JEALOUS of Maui's hair! Dear god! My curly hair is not exposed to the elements 24/7 and it never looks that fabulous! There were parts of the movie, where his hair was flowing in the sea breeze, that I was legit too preoccupied with jealousy to focus on the movie. I have been out on the ocean before, my hair did not look that luxurious while riding the waves. It actually looks worse than usual when it's been in salt water. It's really just not fair. I don't know anything about animation, but I was impressed with how realistic they made the hair look. And with how cool and interactive the ocean was. As a child of the 90s, I am partial to the old school style of more 2D (maybe that's the right term?) animation, but this movie was pretty visually pleasing.

I really liked the flashy crab, Maui's interactive tattoos, when the movie umm..switched animation styles (I don't know any terms), and those fabulous pirate coconuts. I just tried googling some stuff about the animation style but that didn't help, so I'll just have to watch it again sometime to make it more clear what I'm talking about. Oh, I looooved the grandma. I love a good Disney grandma. My own grandma is pretty damn amazing, and this one made me really happy. She owns her crazy the way I aspire to do one day.

You should see Moana if you haven't yet! I listen to the soundtrack sometimes and I love that as well. I love most Disney songs, and "How Far I'll Go" was robbed. The end.

Dream big people!

No comments:

Post a Comment