13 March 2017

Zootopia

Ok, so my anxiety won out and I think I need to go in an order. So since I just did Moana, I am going to work backwards from there and just skip Aladdin and The Rescuers when I get to them? I am not sure yet. I'll get to that bundle of nerves when I get there. I've also decided that one a day is maybe a bit much. I think I'm going to have to scale back, for my sanity.

Oh, also, I am not including Pixar movies in this project because...I don't know. I just don't want to, I guess. I like Pixar movies, but I'm sticking to the original. Although I haven't decided about Studio Ghibli films yet. They aren't technically under the Disney umbrella but Disney distributes their English language releases. It doesn't seem fair, but I like Ghibli more than I like Pixar, so we'll see. Also, life's not fair so tough titties.

And should I include the live action films? I do have a few favorites. Hmmm, let's save that anxiety for a later time.

For now, skipping over Finding Dory to discuss Zootopia. I saw this movie when I visited my dad last year. We were stuck in the house all day and I decided to rent this to watch on their humongous TV while we were hanging out.

Zootopia.jpg

I liked it ok. Maybe because there wasn't any music, it wasn't my favorite? I don't know. But! I did REALLY love the sloth scene. Too good. I had a student that did a spot-on impression of that scene and it made me laugh every time! I already stated my opinion on celebrities voicing Disney characters, but I guess that is how it is going to be from now on. I'll get over it but the chances of me being cast as the voice of a Disney character seems to be dwindling. While I did appreciate a Shakira gazelle, it was hard to take Michael Bluth seriously as a fox. But maybe that's just me.

I also like that Judy is career driven and not worried about finding a man, escaping from somewhere, cleaning, or just straight up sleeping for most of the film. And there are obviously A LOT of lessons and themes to be taken from this Disney film, on a kind of impressive level. There are so many jabs and stereotypes tackled in this movie, I kind of wonder who exactly it's for. I also wonder if kids pick up on those kinds of things. I don't have kids, nor do I have any interest in actually discussing these things with a child, but I do wonder. I know adults appreciate it, but I kind of doubt the ones that need to learn lessons of tolerance are open to gaining in it from a Disney movie. But I could be wrong.

I feel like this is one I should watch again, to get a better feel for it. But, for now, I'm just saying, meh. What did you think?

Dream big, people!

No comments:

Post a Comment