11 June 2012

Korean Beach Party

Some friends and I made a little trip to the beach Saturday and once we got there (we had a little detour), we were getting a lot of stares. Not because we were foreigners, but because we were pretty much the only people on the BEACH wearing bathing suits. I know! We are such freaks.

Koreans have a really odd beach culture (in my opinion). Apparently most of them are pretty anti-sun. They don't like to be exposed to it, they don't like to be tan and they don't like to bask in all the sun's glory and soak up all the vitamin D it has to offer. On sunny days (or even slightly overcast with a tiny bit of sun days) you will see lots of people walking around with umbrellas up. Not because it's raining or it's going to, but because they want to block out the sun. And if they want to take it to the next level of sun blockage, they will sometimes wear a visor...and a mask...and pants...and gloves...and if they don't already have on a jacket or long sleeves, there are special arm protectors they can buy to put on while outside. Arm condoms, if you will. It baffles me. Mainly because I don't understand how they are not MELTING. Sometimes it is sooo hot outside and they still have all the gear on. You don't see a lot of Koreans sweating, but I really don't understand how because they are dressed for a winter storm in 80 degree weather. Insanity.

And if they are not covered head to toe, they are wearing some sort of other ridiculous get up for the beach. Jeans, a suit, a fancy skirt, HEELS. Oh yes, that's right...saw many women today in heels trying to walk in the sand. And since this is obviously quite a difficult task, they pass their purse off to their adoring boyfriends, who carry it on their shoulder like it's theirs. If they aren't wearing heels, they may be wearing matching shoes with their significant other.

Anyway, it was a nice day, even if I was getting a lot of weird looks. For wearing a bathing suit. At the beach. It's kind of a trek to get there, so my next goal is to make a friend with a car. Let me know if you know someone. Next weekend is river kayaking! Hooray! Although it does mean I have to get up really early...earlier than I do for work. I find this happening a lot on my weekends. I like doing cool stuff, but I'm not sure why it has to start so damn early.

Dream big people!

No comments:

Post a Comment