07 June 2012

Stranger Danger

Sooo, just in case you didn't already know how idiotic I can be sometimes...I am sitting in my room with my window open and I just heard people yelling (in Korean) outside. And I'm all, what the hell? Why are these people yelling in jibberish? Annnnd then I remembered I'm in Korea and it's not jibberish, it's Korean. And while I usually know this, I do still tend to think of if it as jibberish a lot. I know it's horrible and it's just me being stupid and lazy for not learning it. But when I'm on the Subway and I hear announcements, I just want to be like, I'm sorry...I'm going to need you to repeat that in a real language, thanks. I'm probably the only person that is thinking that. I also think that when I get random text messages in Korean. I'm all, WHAT IS THIS PERSON TRYING TO TELL ME?!?! Then a friend just tells me it's spam.

Anyway...speaking of weird Korean things. Today the kids had to watch the oddest video for "Uniform Day," which is pretty much an assembly. Usually it's in English but this month the nurse did it so it was in Korean. I'm guessing from the cartoon it was about not talking to strangers. Which is fine, ok..but one of the clips was a guy in a trench coat flashing a little girl. Then she ran home crying. What I thought was the weirdest is that she ran home and had to bang on the door for her mom to open. Why doesn't she know the code to get into her house? Also weird, they warned us not to scare the kids with stories of "stranger danger" (whatever that is) but I feel like that would qualify. Whatever. Another part of the video was (I think) the differences between girls and boys. I think that because it was a girl and a boy standing in their underwear (still cartoons) and then there was an arrow pointing to random body parts. Same...same...same...different! Six seems kind of young for that, but apparently some of the kids in the 7 year old class masturbate in class so maybe not.

Things are going well here in the ROK. I went to Norebang for the first time Tuesday night (we had Wednesday off for Korean Memorial Day) and it was sooooooo soooo fun. It's basically karaoke in a private room. People that know me well know I hate karaoke but LOVE to sing. It's not that I mind making a fool of myself in front of others, it's that I don't want to watch others make a fool of themselves. It hurts me. The other thing I hate is when people sing really awful songs and kill the fun vibe in the bar. So, this is great because you are with only you friends and you get to sing way more often than at a bar. Sadly, they did not have "Heaven is a Place on Earth" but they did have some Bieber so I was ok. They also had a sweet ass tambourine for you to jam on and I gave myself a hand bruise from rocking out so hard. I also now have mad respect for singers because I was trying to dance, jump around and sing and I got out of breath real fast. I'm not in the greatest shape, but damn...I guess my Zumba is not doing as much as I thought. Sadly, we did have one random girl that fancied herself a singer and sang some stupid slow song and made it lame for a while. I couldn't even tambourine to it, it was so slow and stupid. But she was a friend of a friend so she will not be invited again.

I have tons of fun stuff planned for the next few weeks so I am very excited. Especially since I might have some beaaach time! Love it! Being this far from the beach for so long is killing me! The ocean is in my blood, haha! I miss it! Plus today was super frustrating so I could use a little mini break. My job is not hard, really, and I totally love it but it's go go go all the time. I love being busy, but an extra cup of coffee kind of put me on edge today. Plus it was really hot in the teachers room so I was running around trying to get stuff done and then melting while trying to print things. I also decided to undertake a ridiculously time consuming project (totally self imposed) and I was trying to get everything ready all while thing, WHY THE HELL AM I DOING THIS? But I had already come so far so I wasn't going to quit.

My after school class was also especially frustrating. It's only two boys and they are sooo cute but one is really advanced and the other is....not. At all. One can read and today I found out that the other doesn't know his ABCs. He wasn't even really able to find the letters of his name. I would MUCH rather have them separately, because it's pretty much impossible to try and keep them both happy. The advanced one (Jake) is done with whatever I have them do by the time the other one (Tei...pronounced Tay...like ooooh tay) has started. And Tei just copies Jake so I'm pretty sure he's not learning anything. Today I had them arrange their alphabet letters and while Tei and I struggled to find the letters, Jake was done in a minute. So I had him start spelling out words. He would spell a word in the time Tei found a letter. I feel bad because they both want attention but that is not happening evenly. I was trying realllly hard to be patient today but ooooh man. Our class was like this:

Me: "What comes after S Tei?"
Jake: "T! It's T! TTTTTT!!!"
Me: "I know, good job Jake, spell out elephant with your letters. Tei, what is after S? What is the first letter of your name?"
Tei: shrugs shoulders
Jake: "Finished jacky teacher! I'm finished! Tei, it's T!"
Me: "Great Jake! Let him do it. Why don't you spell a word that starts with T please. Tei, can you find the T?"
Tei: points to the W
Jake: "Tiger jacky teacher! Tiger! Tiger starts with T!"
Me: "Way to go Jake! Tei, Tei! Where are you going?"
Tei: "Poo poo."

So that was good hour and a half of my life. Funny now...almost pulled my hair out this afternoon. Again, not mad he doesn't know anything...it's just super frustrating trying to balance the two of them. Especially since the class is supposed to be "Story Retelling" and not "Arranging the Alphabet." My co teacher is the one that made this class happen so I'm kind of pissed at her. I retaliate by being passive aggressive and letting the kids scream in the gym while she goes in the hallway to lay down her anti-fun laws on kids that were having too much.

Not really looking forward to tomorrow since it's "Color Day" and I really haven't done anything in the way of planning. Mainly because I have no idea what we are supposed to be doing. No one does, so I think it'll be ok. We'll see.

Norebang Dance Party!

Jake and Tei (Jake's Mom...whhhaat were you thinking with that outfit??)
Dream big people!

No comments:

Post a Comment