01 August 2012

Back to Reality

I should definitely be asleep right now, but since I literally slept all day, I can't fall asleep at an appropriate time. Seriously, I got out of bed at 3:00 pm. Then I went to the bank, the grocery store and came home and took a nap. Then I got some dinner, took a walk and here I am. Thailand apparently wore me out. But in a good way. Once I finally stopped telling myself I needed to be productive, I enjoyed my excessive napping and laziness. Now I just have to remember how to function like a normal, working adult tomorrow and everything will be fine. Luckily it's just a teacher workday, so I have at least another day to pull myself together and get some energy for my 16 babies. I am actually really looking forward to seeing them! I missed them on vacation! And I got them Thailand presents so I'm excited to give them out.

Anyway, Thailand was pretty awesome! For a quick recap, because I can feel my sleep meds kicking in...

I started off the week a little skeptical. Bangkok was a good kind of crazy, and I really enjoyed sightseeing there. I was getting a little put out, though, because it's obvious people are out to scam you and take as much money as they can get. Our first Tuk Tuk driver (FYI-Tuk Tuks are like motorcycles with a carrying basket on the back..an awesome form of transportation) was so nice and friendly and took us around the whole city for the ENTIRE day for 50 Thai Baht (which is like, $1.50). His name was Mr. Sing and we only understood about half of what each other was saying most of the time, but he was so nice and friendly. Then, for dinner that night, another driver wanted 200 Baht ($6) to take us on a ten minute ride. Umm, no...by that time we were street smart but still. Also, Bangkok is crazy polluted, so we rode around just feeling totally gross. Still, a lot of fun. And really good food!

After Bangkok, we had a bunch of rude people on our flight to Phuket and were bombarded with people wanting to drive us and/or sell us things when we got off the plane, so I was a bit overwhelmed. Korean vendors are usually not (places I've been anyway) throwing their wares at you, asking you to buy things, but it's pretty different in Thailand. I was getting a little put out with someone asking me to buy things, literally, every 5 seconds. No, I do not want any DVDS and I'm almost positive you heard me say that to the guy that asked me just before you did. It took some getting used to, but I had a hard time with some of the vendors. Not only can they be annoying, but just casual looking is not an option. If you even glance at their stuff, they are all over you. What are you looking for madame? What do you want? I make special price for you madame. And if you don't buy anything, it's like you just ruined their life. It was rough. But I learned to just keep walking...or don't walk down the street where all the sellers are, haha.

Kata beach was really beautiful. We had a great view from out hotel, with an awesome balcony and sea view. My mom and I mainly just hung out on the beach, ate good food, read on the balcony and usually went to bed by 9 or 10 pm. I loved it. Then we met up with my friend at Patong beach, where our hotel was also amazing, and right across the street from the beach. We got more beach time and made a day trip to Phi Phi island, which is sooo beautiful and way more chill than where we were. We also managed to find a street with more chill vendors and spent a lot of our time there instead of the main street with the merchandise madness.

We also went ELEPHANT RIDING on my BIRTHDAY!! It was fucking awesome. I mean, a birthday elephant ride? Pretty amazing. My mom and I rode together on Patsa and I even got to ride on her head for a while. She had some pretty prickly hair but I didn't fall off or anything, so I consider it a success. It was seriously the coolest thing ever.

Anyway, more on all of it later. I should try to get some sleep. The cicadas have come to Korea, which everyone knows means it's hot as shit. Gonna be hard to function tomorrow, regardless of how much sleep I get.

Dream big people!


No comments:

Post a Comment