21 August 2012

Denied

Well, damn....my great plan to show Land Before Time has failed. Apparently the kids mentioned to their mommies that they've been watching TV at school and the mommies shut that down pretty quick since their children can "watch DVDs at home." We only got through the first 20 minutes of the film. I am pretty pissed about the whole thing. I've already talked it to death with anyone that will listen, but my main points are as follows:
1. We were only watching it for 10 minutes a day.
2. They can watch this DVD at home, but chances are, they aren't since it's like 20 years old. Also, I am not in their home to pause the video, talk about things that are going on and discuss it in English.
3. All the other resources they have for us to use to teach the kids about dinosaurs are videos...and most of them are waaaaay over their heads in terms of language and content.
4. We have nice, new big screen TVs in every classroom...what is the point if we can't watch some movies sometimes.
5. We were doing other work while watching the video...like coloring and writing sentences.
6. It's 2012...time to use multimedia in the classrooms...even if it's 20 year old animated movies.
7. The kids loved it! I wanted to show it to them because I knew they would love it...not because I am trying to avoid teaching them things. Today they all got excited for the "DINOSAUR MOVIE!" but I couldn't show it because my co-teacher is anti-fun and lame.

And since they really wanted to watch it, I thought maybe we could show some of it during play time but the co-teacher shut that down as well. SO ANNOYED. The whole thing is just really stupid and pisses me off. Especially since it's essentially my co-teacher's decision when it should be mutual...or mine, actually since I'm the one in charge of theme class (dinosaurs) and she's not.

So that's that. In other news, things have been super busy! I am pretty sad because one of my best friends in Korea leaves tomorrow and Korea is just not going to be as fun without her. The last few weeks have been a whirlwind of birthday and going away parties....with lots of drinking. Too much maybe. Mainly because I never sleep that well when I drink, so my sleep schedule gets all thrown off and then I end up being tired all week. I also end up being a useless blob during the day and accomplish nothing with my life. The worst part about that is that by Friday I'm not tired anymore and I'm all ready and raring to go for some more partying. It's a vicious cycle. I am hoping to convince myself to take it easy at least one night this weekend and get a good nights sleep.

Nothing else too interesting going on. The time here is flying by...today is my 6 month anniversary in Korea! I honestly cannot believe I've been here that long already. Time flies when you're having fun, I guess. I am pretty excited about the next 6 months will hold for me. Well, I'm not excited about winter...but everything else...bring it on! Starting with "Pajama Day" on Friday! Nothing better than having to wear long pajama pants to work during summer and monsoon season. And when you're not allowed to watch movies. I love my job, but damn if they dont' have some stupid ass rules. Anyway.

Dream big people!

No comments:

Post a Comment