14 April 2012

Minor Complications

Korea seems to be the land of secrecy. Or, land of omitting vital information. For example, I asked the administration at school the other day if I would get a health insurance card. I was told it should have been mailed to me a while ago. This information irritated me. No one ever told me I should be checking the mail. In fact, I didn't even know where my mailbox was located until recently (it's in a separate building) and since I wasn't expecting any mail, I hardly ever check it. I was asking another foreign teacher about this and she was like, yeah, and your bills get mailed to you as well. Wait, what? I also was unaware that I was going to be getting bills (I assumed the school took them out of my paycheck), that they needed to be paid and that I should be looking for them in the mail. WHY would no one tell me this? Furthermore, should any bills come, I have no idea what they would even look like because I cannot read Korean. I realize this is my own stupid fault, but seriously? I feel like someone should have told me. Also, and again, this is my fault for being stupid, but the few things I have picked up from the mail didn't seem to be of any importance, so I threw them away. Had I known I was going to be getting bills and health insurance cards, I would have brought it all in to be translate by someone. Oh well, hope they don't turn off my power!

I also recently found out that 2:10-2:35 is the my designated break time. Again, why would no one inform me of this? Not that I am in desperate need of a break, but it would have been nice to know that I didn't have to hang around my class if I didn't feel like.  It's especially helpful if I have to get stuff ready for my afterschool programs. There is also no sort of schedule and/or curriculum given for the afterschool stuff so I just hope I don't get in trouble at the end for not doing anything right.

I am beginning to feel like this happens a lot. I often find myself saying or thinking, "no one told me that!" Another example, there is a guy that works in administration at school...I don't know what his official title is, but anytime I needed anything, I was told to go to him. Also, he handled all my paperwork when I got here, so I assumed I needed to speak with him if I had questions. Problem is, his English is terrible so we can never understand each other. This is especially problematic since he is supposed to be the one helping me with important legal matters like documents I need for my visa, apartment, health check, etc. He also just started in the last few months so he isn't always super knowledgeable. So whatever, I always go to him even though he never has any idea what is going on or how to tell me, even if he does. Again, today, I was talking with other foreign teachers and they were all, oh, you are not supposed to go talk to him, you are supposed to talk to Melissa (our supervisor). Well, dammit! No wonder he always looks so flustered! I mean, why has no one told me? Why hasn't HE told me to talk to her?! And the other thing that irritates me is that his desk is next to the accountant, who speaks better English. When he and I are doing are ridiculous communication dance, she doesn't offer any help until like, 20 minutes into the conversation. At which time she basically says everything I've just been told and/or said is wrong. So frustrating! Why not say something earlier?! Save us all this trouble.

Another interesting thing I learned recently...Koreans will pretty much never tell you "I don't know" or "I don't understand." Apparently that is not an acceptable answer. So, when I ask a child a question and they just stare at me blankly for 5 minutes, it's because they don't understand. Instead of saying that, I just get stared at. Which, in my opinion, is a little rude, but it does make more sense now. I mean, I figured they didn't understand but sometimes it doesn't occur to me that is the problem. Also, sometimes I'm like, it can't possibly be you don't understand. I mean, when we do book work in class we do like, 10 examples of it AND I put the book up on the touch screen and actually put the answers on it. So, when a child does 3 questions and just stares blankly at the 4th, I don't understand (I'll admit it!) what the problem is. You just did 3 exactly like it, and you basically just have to copy off the board. Are you being lazy or do you not understand? Say something! Instead, it's a stare down until the kid snaps out of it or I physically take their hand and show them how to circle the answer. Very strange.

I guess I should also keep in mind that they are 4, are leaning a new language and are getting a lot of new, confusing information thrown at them all day, every day. I don't really get angry with them, but it can be a bit frustrating. But then they're super cute so I get over it.

But for some good news, my friend and I just booked a super fun trip to Jeju Island for next month. Jeju (it's at the bottom of Korea) is supposed to be really beautiful and nice so I'm really excited about it. There are so many places I want to see and go, I don't know how I'm going to have time for it all! Maybe I'll just have stay on for another year or two! We'll see how things are going next year, haha. It's a little too early to be making those kinds of decisions now.

Anyway, my cold seems to be on the way out, finally! Hopefully the same can be said for the chilly weather. There is a nice little roof area on top of my building that is just begging to be partied on. Things just keep getting better, so I'm excited for what's ahead. :)

Dream big people!

No comments:

Post a Comment