23 April 2012

The Tomato Saga

This is pretty much the worst story ever, but I'm putting it on here because I would feel too lame retelling it to people at school. One, I'm pretty sure no one would care and two, I will hopefully be over it by tomorrow.

Ok, so. Last week I bought some onions at the grocery store, as well as some balsamic vinegar, olives and feta cheese. Then I got the great idea that I would make myself a yummy Greek salad with these lovely ingredients, I just needed to buy a tomato. I didn't have time last week, so that was my mission for today: buy a tomato. Emphasis on the A. Just one tomato. So, after school today I was all excited about my Greek salad dinner and off the the grocery store I went. I tend to get fixated on ideas and once I decide I'm going to do it, nothing can stop me. Even if it's just making dinner.

At the first grocery store, you can't buy just one tomato. You can either buy a bag of 6 or a container of cherry tomatoes. Here's the problem: I don't really like tomatoes except in a Greek salad or caprese situation. So I definitely would not eat the 5 other tomatoes. I just wanted one. Next grocery store...same problem, only this time the only option was this huge box of tomatoes with like, 12 inside. You would have to be some sort of tomato loving fool for all those.

Now I'm getting frustrated. I just want a damn tomato, I'm hungry and my feet are hurting. Then I remember there is a guy that sells fruit and vegetables from a truck across the street from my apartment. I was kind of trying to avoid this option because I didn't want to attempt trying to talk with this man, but my options were limited. So I go there...he's not there. I mean, who leaves their veggies truck abandoned? I was sooo tempted to just take one and leave a 1000 won bill there, but I didn't want to get questioned by anyone watching. So I wait and wait and wait and finally he comes back. His tomatoes are in these bowls with like, 10 in each bowl. I say "hana" (that means one) and point and put up one finger, just in case I'm not saying hana correctly. Through some rude gestures and exasperated facial expressions I learn you cannot buy one tomato, you have to buy the whole stupid bowl. WHAT THE HELL PEOPLE?? Why can't I have just ONE gd tomato?

Of all the stupid nonsense that has gone on in this country since I got here, this is the first time I got truly upset and frustrated. I think it was a combination of looking forward to it since last week, being hungry, striking out at two previous places and overall, just putting way too much time and energy into something really stupid and insignificant. Bah! Plus, the man was so rude! What a stinker. And again, why the hell can't I just buy one tomato? The grocery stores here are so small and frustrating...I have to go to one for chicken and another if I want carrots. I'm going to make it through this grocery store situation, but I kind of miss one stop shopping.

Whatever, over it now. I also tried the corner convenience store, and while they have individual apples, onions, dried fish heads, and assortment of other completely random products, they did not have just one tomato for me to buy. So I had chicken and onions for dinner instead.

Again, sorry this is the worst story ever, but there is no one else around to listen.

For some good news, my kids were super cute as always today and it's starting to warm up! Hooray! Also, putting my ipod on shuffle is awesome.

Dream big people!

No comments:

Post a Comment