05 July 2012

Being an Adult Sucks

It really does. I feel like I am finding that out more and more in Korea. I am really not sure how I managed to bypass all these pitfalls for maintaining an apartment/house before, but it seems like every time I turn around, I have something new I have to figure out how to fix/clean. Which is especially bizarre to me because this one room studio is definitely the smallest place I have ever lived. Maybe before I just didn't notice the problems/dirt or, now that I am older and wiser, it actually bothers me and I have to do something about it. Not sure...but anyway, the latest problem is the freezer. It has a ton of ice build up and I got to thinking, this doesn't seem right. Also, it's been growing since I moved in. A little internet research confirms my suspicions  and in I go with a spatula to clean it out. This did some good, but there is still a lot left in there. Most websites say to do an overall clean...this starts by unplugging the fridge. And here is where Korea specific problems come in.

Most places I've lived, I've had fridge problems...I didn't solve them all alone, but I at least knew where the plug was to start the solution process. Here, I don't even know where the plug is. The fridge is like, built into the cabinet. I can't move it to get to the back, nor do I see any plugs coming out of it. I checked under the sink, and there are quite a few cords, but who knows what they all belong too. I am afraid of unplugging anything under there, for fear of blowing up/burning down/melting/shutting down the entire building. So, my new plan is to eat all the food in my fridge/freezer (won't take long, there is hardly anything in there), let everything melt, clean it and start from there. Apparently this is a waste of energy but I really don't know how else to get the ice out. One site suggested using a blow dryer (with caution), but of course, I don't have one of those either. Hooray for being useless!

It's been a frustrating few days. Lots of reasons.  As I mentioned yesterday, my attempt at grilling for July 4th was a total fail. It was very sad. It's also kind of sad when you are pretty much the only person that cares about a holiday. And when there are no fireworks...very depressing. I love Korea but it (obviously) does not give a shit about the Fourth of July. Anyway, I am no grilling expert by any stretch of the imagination, but I have started a few fires in my day. Most of them were on purpose and I have done some grilling as well. But this new grill I bought was having none of that. I'm guessing it was the charcoal...and maybe it was my lack of lighter fluid, but I have started at least 3 charcoal grills with no lighter fluid so I really don't know what the problem was. I ended up grilling one kebab (so the night gets counted as a success) and then had to put the rest in the toaster oven. Second lamest Fourth ever. First was spent on a plane in Europe, where they also don't give a shit about the Fourth, but that time I didn't have sparklers...or friends...so it's the lamest.

Also, today we went on a field trip to the aquarium...which had potential to be cool but was a total mess instead. The aquarium here is pretty small and we were one of like, one hundred school groups that decided to go today. It was soooo crowded and terrible and we were so rushed. Instead of letting us eat there, the school makes us go back for lunch which means the kids were allowed to look at each exhibit for about 2.5 seconds. And that is if they could even get close enough to see anything. Also, the fun police (my co-teacher) struck again and we had to skip right over the "touch a starfish" portion of the tour, which, in my opinion, would be pretty cool for the kids. Whatever. I guess the kids thought it was cool, even though they definitely seemed to be more into play time when we got back. Also, aquariums and zoos always depress me a little bit because the poor animals go from the whole ocean or whatever habitat, to this teeny tiny space with people staring at them all the time. Oh, and I'm pretty sure the beaver there was dead. We watched it for at least 5 minutes and it didn't move at all. Unless they sleep in the water? Do they? I don't know, the only experience I have with beavers is from Lady and the Tramp.

Field trips make me exhausted (again, getting old) and something in the bizarre mix I had for lunch did not sit well with me, so I came home after school and took a nap. Not terrible, since it's nice and rainy outside but I always feel guilty for not going to the gym. Not only do I want to lose weight, but I mainly feel like I'm wasting my money every day I don't go. Tuesday I had the option of getting ice cream or going to the gym...and guess what I did. But, I guess I technically have that option every day and Tuesday was the only day I've done it, so maybe I'm not so bad after all.

So that's my life. Now I'm tired again and going to try to get 8 hours of sleep. I did go to bed early last night but I lost some time waking up at 3 and not falling back asleep for awhile. Going to bed early is really hard for me though! I'm such a night owl. But now that monsoon season has started, maybe the rain will put me to sleep earlier? That makes zero sense, but you never know. Trying to look at the positive side of the downpour that hasn't stopped since this afternoon. Another thing I wonder about...how did I live in the rainy South for so long without ever owning a pair of rainboots? I would like to remember because I need to figure out how to do it here as well. Oh, and my raincoat is falling apart so I need a new one of those as well. Boo.

Dream big people!

No comments:

Post a Comment