09 September 2012

A good, good morning

Obsessed with a new KPOP song, Good Morning by Verbal Jint...which is the most ridiculous name for a band ever, but whatever. The song is great. And that is not really the name...the name is in Korean so obviously have no idea what it is. But they say good morning a lot, so that is what I'm calling it.

And my day was great! The whole weekend was great, actually. The festival yesterday wasn't that bad. It was really fun to see some of my kids, and it was nice to be doing something somewhat productive with my Saturday. Sometimes I do some volunteer tutoring on Saturdays, but I've been slacking lately so it was good to be useful again. Plus it was a really nice day out. Oh, and the fashion show was pretty entertaining. It was parents and kids together and they were obviously not all given the same memo...there were all kinds of outfits. But the best part was this random dance they all did at the end to "Sunny". Hilarious.


That night the rain held off for our rooftop bbq. and it was quite the success. Mainly because we actually got the grill to start this time. Very exciting. And the meat was pretty good as well. Plus a lot of people showed up, which made me really happy. I love when people actually show up. Our roof is set up weird, I smelled like nasty grill, and my poor Korean buddy burned his eye, but overall, it was really fun. 

Then, today, we decided to go to the Korean National Museum and Palace and it was really really nice. The weather was perfect and we just happened upon the most random concert I've ever seen. It was so awesome. First, it was Korean dancers. Then there was a band with traditional Korean instruments, so I thought everything would be pretty traditional. Nope. Then some break dancers came out and did their thing.  Then, it was some kind of Korean traditional drum line, which was amazing. My love of drumlines has been discussed before, it's borderline embarrassing. For some more modern things, there was a beatboxer and then he teamed up with a traditional Korean singer and it was the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen...or heard. The dancers came back and did a little number to a song from the musical "Chicago" with some of those huge traditional fans. And for the grand finale, everyone came together for a big drumline, break dancing, Korean instruments, singing mash up. It was awesome. I still really have no idea why it was going on, but I loved it. 










We walked around the museum and grounds some after that. It is a really nice museum, very well put together and really interesting. I want to go back sometime because we didn't get to see everything. My touring partner was getting a little cranky and hungry (not me, for once!! I was smart and brought snacks), so we had to leave to get him some food. We wandered around the famous shopping district for a while and I bought the cutest headband ever. Then, we I started getting cranky and hungry, we had shabu shabu for dinner, which is the crazy Korean dish. It's like this soup and you get all these things and there is a certain order you have to put all the things in. There's beef, veggies, rice cakes, mondoo (Korean dumplings) rice, and egg and quite a few things I had never seen and was not provided an English name for. It was pretty tasty. Not my favorite Korean dish, but I don't know that I'll ever eat anything that tops galbi. It would have to be really damn delicious. 

So yeah, good weekend. Hope this week is good as well! So busy at school, hope it makes it go by fast. Next weekend has the potential to be amazing too. Fingers crossed!

Dream big people! 

Added bonus! Elephant ride from Thailand...finally figured out how to put it on here. Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment