24 September 2012

Hanbok Day!

So I didn't think my kids could get any more precious than they already are...but then they showed up in Hanboks to celebrate Chuseok at school. Hanboks are traditional Korean clothes worn on special occasions and Chuseok is like Korean Thanksgiving, that is this weekend. All the teachers (me included, I borrowed one from someone at school) wore one and the kids all got off the busses in their little outfits and it was just the cutest thing ever! The outfits are really beautiful and have all these amazing colors and there are a lot of different kinds. I have no idea what any of it means, or is called, but here are some pictures:










It was kind of hard to take pictures because so much was going on, but they were seriously so cute. Then we did this traditional dance called Ganggangsullae where all the kids held hands and did a few circles around the school (inside)...it was pretty cute. There was a song and everything. There were some logistical problems, trying to get 160 4-6 year olds walk at the same pace, but we managed. 

After the dancing, my co teacher asked the kids if they knew how to bow. And I was thinking, well that seems silly..bowing is easy enough. Um, wrong. This is some intense bowing, involving getting all the way on the ground. Also, there are certain ways your hands have to be and it's different for boys and girls. Serious business.  I think they have to bow to their grandparents at some point during the holiday, but I didn't get the full story. Here is some bowing:  



They are not messing around. Sometimes I get a little sad that I am from America and we don't have any cool traditions and cool clothes to put on for special occasions. But, it's ok. That is why I travel...I can learn new ones and participate in other people's. And, we do have some traditions in my family, but nothing too sacred, you know. Definitely not any bad ass clothes like that. Apparently the outfits are super expensive though! 

So after all the festivities, we got presents from the school! Here is what we got: 



I died. Seriously. SPAM? Ooooh, my goodness, it was just too funny. I first saw my assistant teacher walking around with this huge bag that said SPAM on it and was like, where did she even get such a thing? SPAM makes gift bags? Then I was told to get my very own out of the administration office, that it was my Chuseok gift from the main office. I managed to not die laughing at school, but lost it once I got home and opened it. I really had no idea what to expect, but I guess I thought it would have cheese or something in it...not two huge bottles of canola oil! Oh man, it's just too much. I've never actually eaten SPAM, to tell you the truth. However, I was always under the impression that it's pretty much the lowest form of "meat" and really should be avoided at all costs. I can't even imagine how a gift like this would go over in the states. Hilarious.

Anyway, then I found this at the Daiso:


That dog looks super happy. What an entertaining day it was. Oh! And soooo random, at dinner tonight (at a foreigner's bar), a guy came on with a Clemson hat on. And since it was only us in there, I yelled across the restaurant at him to ask if he was from South Carolina (no drinking involved, just classy like that). And he was! And not only that, he went to Airport High School, which was my high school's rival AND graduated the same year as me!!! Crazy! It's a small, small world friends.

Dream big people! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment