07 September 2012

Making Happiness

That is what I'll be doing tomorrow, making happiness at the "6th year Making Happiness Festival." Here is what I don't understand about this silly name. The school I work for is under a huge company with lots of schools all over Korea, for all ages. At each of these schools, there is at least one, if not dozens of foreign, native English speaking English teachers. Why don't they ask just one of them to sign off on the English titles and flyers they decide to send out. 6th year? No. Making Happiness? Not a phrase that any English speaking person utters, ever. Not that it matters that much, but not utilize your resources and make the foreigners edit!

Easier said than done, I suppose. For one, some things just don't even translate. Two, sometimes you just don't even know what the person is trying to say. I was asked to edit a paragraph the other day and I had no idea what the sentence was trying to say, so it was a little difficult to fix it. I'm honestly not even sure how I would turn "Making Happiness" into a usable English phrase. Be Happy? Just 'Happiness'? The Happiness Festival? I don't know. But I guess it works because it probably makes sense to the Korean parents, who are the ones attending the festival. And, PLEASE, do NOT think I am making fun at ALL. If I have not made this clear before, I think people that can speak two languages are incredibly smart. Even if it's slightly broken and doesn't always make sense. I personally find it horribly difficult to even attempt to learn another language so I have nothing but respect for anyone that can. My attempt to learn Korean has resulted in learning about 4 new phrases, a handful of new words and the basic vowel sounds...and none of those include how to write and/or read any of them. Even more respect for the parents that have the wise foresight to get their kids started on a new language early. Wish my parents had! (No offense to them...I think I'm doing ok, even not as uni-lingual loser. Is that even a word?). Besides, I'm immature and find broken English highly entertaining. I hope I don't offend anyone. It's so much fun to read things like "Have a Feeling Fine Day!" on the side of a vending machine in the subway station!

Tomorrow I have to be a judge for the "fashion show." I find this hilarious, since I am not the least bit fashionable, ESPECIALLY by Korean standards. Also, when I was younger I was in a fashion show and I literally, ran down the runway. I was a tomboy and did not want to have anything to do with that mess! Also, I personally think "fashion" is a huge waste of time and money. But whatever, it'll probably be fun with little kids.

Anyway, I hope I get to see some of my kids tomorrow at the festival! I miss them on the weekends! Even the totally goober ones. We are now up to 20 students. It's a pretty packed classroom and getting the new kids up to speed is a challenge, but they can be entertaining. I know I'm a terrible person for thinking this, but one new girl is almost comical in her patheticness. I try to get her to smile, but she just has the most sad sack looking face ALL the time. She is very Eeyore. I haven't quite figured out how to make her smile, but I'm going to keep trying. It just makes me laugh a little when the kids act so downtrodden. Like their lives in posh preschool is soooo hard. But that is why I love little kids, they are so silly, even when sad. And I can't really talk, I suppose. All my complaints are total first world champagne problems. Oh waaa, I have electricity and I have to pay for it, waaaa. Plus, I don't really remember being four but I'm sure I was pretty ridiculous as well. I'm certain I have family that can attest to that. Actually, I'm still pretty ridiculous so again, can't really talk.

So that's what going these days. All kinds of silliness at school. So much to do, but I like being busy. I just made an awesome display at school that I'm pretty proud of. I'll take a picture..I'm sure you'll enjoy it as well. I also started a pen pal program with a friend at home and I'm really excited about that. I am really excited for both sets of kids to learn about the differences between the two schools. I think it will be such a great thing for them, getting a world view at such a young age. I'm such a nerd, but I love doing fun projects at school! I just wish I had more time and resources to do them. I've complained enough about the after school programs, but those stupid things just suck up all my time and energy and it's such a waste. Moving on!

It's also started getting cooler here. Which is good because I don't have to turn on my cash cow of an AC, but I swear, if there is no fall and it turns into horribly cold winter right away I'm going to be so upset. I really wanted to squeeze one more trip to a beach in sometime before the cold. Fingers crossed! (Again with the first world problems).

Dream big people!

No comments:

Post a Comment