14 September 2012

Many many sad

The kids don't really understand the differences for when you use much, many, a lot and very. So they usually say many many for when they mean the are VERY something. Jacky teacher is many many sad this week.

The week itself wasn't so bad. There were some really good things that happened, but others..not so much. The worst of all, my absolute favorite student, Ray (aka "Lay") left suddenly. His grandmother has been sick, and he gets in trouble all the time so his mom decided to take him out of the school But, she didn't tell anyone until Wednesday morning and he just never came. He was there Tuesday and had gotten in trouble for yelling bad words on the bus so I guess that was the last straw. I asked my co-teacher (she is the one that talks to the moms) if she was going to bring him back to say goodbye to us and the class, but she said. I am extremely upset about the whole thing. I can't understand why his mom won't let him come say goodbye..at least to the teachers (me, specifically). We've only had one other girl leave, she moved to China, and we had a goodbye party for her. I want a party for Ray! Actually, I just want him to come back! Class is so boring without him and I miss his precious little face. He seriously made me so happy and I am incredibly sad I am potentially never going to see him again! He was so bad in class, but he was so cute, sweet and hilarious, that it was ok. 

I am so discouraged about the whole thing! Mainly because I know there had been rumblings from the other mommies in the class because they knew he was bad, and they kind of ganged up on him and his mom. So I wonder if that had anything to do with it. I really hope not because I would hate so much if it all ended on a negative note for them. I am also upset my coteacher was kind of nonchalant about the whole thing. I really wanted her to push for him to come say goodbye. I don't know what she did or said, but it obviously didn't work. I mainly just want his mom (and him) to know that he was my favorite. Even if the other mommies did't like, I loved him a lot and I think he is so wonderful. I want her to at least know. And know that he will really be missed. So if anyone out there knows Ray, please let him know jacky teacher loves and misses him.  I wish I could call his mom, but I feel like that would be a little strange for everyone...plus I can't speak Korean, so we might have some problems. I did get to send a card to his, at least. 

Also, I've now been told at least 5 times by Koreans that it's OK that I'm fat because I'm pretty. Yessss, backhanded compliment. I realize these people mean well and it really doesn't even offend me...I kind of find it hilarious. Especially since they are so honest. Americans say, oh no, you're not fat. Lies. Instead Koreans are like, yeah, you are. But be grateful you're not ugly too because otherwise you'd get nowhere in life. So cheers to that. The most recent person to tell me was one of the moms that speaks better English. We were talking again today about my Ellen video. I showed the kids the clip and I think it confused the moms, especially since I told the kids I was a TV star. A joke, obviously, but who knows what they told their parents. This mom thought her child just meant I was in the video we made for our penpals, haha. Anyway, I showed them the clip of Psy doing the "Gangnam Style" dance on Ellen, explained that she was Dory from "Finding Nemo" (they all love Nemo), and then showed the clip so they would maybe understand that it was REALLY COOL that I met this Ellen person. I cleared things up for the mom, and told her to tell the other moms so they didn't all think I was crazy. Anyway, we talked about that, her son and the weather and then she's just like, "do you have plans to get married?" I was like, uhhh, what? I got kind of flustered, it was just so random!! Maybe she was just checking to see if I was gay, since I had just told her how much I loved Ellen and the mom had just referred to her as "the gay." Oh life. 

Anyway...to end on a more cheerful note, the kids had to do homework for the password "Jacky teacher is from the USA," and draw a picture to go with it and some of them were so cute and hilarious. I especially love my hair in all of them. So, for your (and mine) viewing pleasure...








This one is Ray's. I love it the most, obviously.

Oh, and this is my amazing wall display I made. I am very proud, even if no one else thinks it's cool.  You can't see the bottom sign, but it says "with the ways to say Hello." I'm awesome!



3 comments:

  1. Excuse, but I need to rep Brazil and 'bom dia' means 'good morning' - oi is hi, ola is hello (but no one uses it), and ei is hey. There I said it! Hope you're having fun! I might need to see some munchkins dancing to gangnam style!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! Yeah, I know...a lot of them aren't technically correct, but it's in a song we sing, so I let it go. Also, trying to explain these things to 5 year olds is beyond my scope of patience. Apparently no one says "Jambo" in Africa but they don't need to know that.

      The kids are alllways singing Gangnam Style, so I'll see if I can get some on video! The best is when they're all, heeeyyyy sexy ladyyyy.

      Delete