09 October 2012

Pros and Cons

Now just imagine The Roots singing "Pros and Cons" like they do on Jimmy Fallon. Oh wait, no one knows what I'm talking about because everyone except me hates Jimmy Fallon and that is becuase nobody's smart but meeeeee.

Anyway. Things are good..and sometimes bad here in Korea. So I decided to hash out some of the pros and cons here just because. Also, I doubt anyone really wants to hear this conversation in person, so why not put it here where you can stop reading if you don't find it interesting.

So let's start with the bad. Sometimes these things don't bother me, sometimes they are small annoyances and sometimes they all happen at one time and I'm all, I haaaaatttteeee Korea, waaaaa. But I don't really mean it. I love Korea, but it can be frustrating.

Frustration #1: online banking. OOOOHHHH MY GOD. Seriously. It is the most frustrating mess of all time. You legit have to jump through at least 5 different security hoops to transfer money home. I guess it's good for identify theft or something, but Saturday morning I almost threw my computer across the room. Then I remembered it was my only way to watch Downton Abbey, so I stopped myself. Anyway, I think I've discussed this nonsense before so moving on.

#2: The grocery store. Today I really almost cried from disappointment when I couldn't find avocados in the grocery store. I heard a rumor they were at the store down the street, but I guess it was a limited time only type of thing because I couldn't find any. And to pour salt in the wound, I wandered over to the cheese aisle only to be crushed some more.

#3: This is not really unique to Korea, but I can't imagine this happening in the states. This fucking California bar that is downstairs in my apartment building. I think I only ranted about it on fb, but basically it's a stupid bar that only serves coffee and beer and is apparently open late, like most coffee shops in Korea (omg, Koreans and their coffee..another paragraph for later). Anyway, a few nights now, there has been some big shindig down there and people are just crazy loud at like, 12:30-1:00 in the morning. Yeah, I know I'm a grandma but both times now it's been a weeknight (Thursday and Monday) and it has really pissed me off. First off, who puts a bar in an apartment building?? And secondly, there is a security guard stand literally right across from this place. Why doesn't he tell them to shut the hell up?? I seriously wonder if I am the only person that is bothered by this noise. I considered throwing an egg at them last night (I'm close enough) but then I decided I didn't want to waste the egg. I hate this stupid place. And they are not even open in the morning for me to get coffee on my way to work! I am officially boycotting California. Screw you! That is not even a good name...you are not a state, coffee/beer bar!

#4: Personal space issues. Koreans are really not into giving anyone their personal space. I get it, it's a small country with a shit ton of people..not a lot of space for everyone. But, when I am trying to get off the elevator or the subway, get the fuck out of the door. You can't even get on until I get out or off, so why not let me before you start shoving your way in. The ajummas (grandmas) are the worst. People literally throw elbows. I don't want to knock down an old woman, but for real. Move. It must be learned at a really early age though because the kids do it in the bathroom at school They stand less than an inch away from the bathroom stall and have one foot in there before you are out. I had to give a lecture today. Not sure my "you are being extremely rude" had much of an impact on the 5 year old. But she needed to know.

#5: Lack of sandwich/salad shops. I miss a good sandwich. And I can't even really buy the stuff to make my own. Well, I could maybe find most of the things, but all the ingredients together would cost me around $20. Imported goods. Sigh. I found a place the other day that said "build your own sandwich" and got so excited to try it out for dinner. When I got there they told me they were completely sold out of sandwiches. Another crushing food disappointment. It happens at least once a week.

#6: The AC situation. As discussed before, my own AC has caused me a lot of expensive heartache in the past. But, I have also discovered that once fall hits, nearly all Korean stores decide it's cool enough to turn off the AC, regardless of the temperature outside. The past few weeks I have endured some very uncomfortable shopping and subway rides. I'm not sure who is in charge of all that, but they are not increasing business. At least not from me, I couldn't wait to get out of those stores, even though there were a good many things I needed to purchase.

#7: The puppy tease. There are quite a few specialty puppy shops here, including one in EMart (Korean Target). First off, these puppies are INSANELY cute. I am tempted to take one home every time I see them. However, I recently learned they are crazy expensive. I was looking at one, and was like, oh look, this one isn't terrible (not that I was going to buy it), but it was 186,000 won..about $167. Then someone pointed out to me that that was PER MONTH, for six months. So it cost $1,000 Then my mind was blown because the puppy next to that was 366, 500 won per month, so it cost almost $2,000. WHHHATTTT. Who would spend that much money on a dog?! And on top of that, why are they selling this kind of dog at a Wal-Mart esque place?!?! Jeeeez. But the worst part is that they won't even let you pet these precious puppies. Korean pet stores, you are so mean! I hate you! Puppies need love too! Even expensive ones!

Ok, so now for some pros. Because for real, Korea is awesome.

#1: Call buttons on the tables at restaurants. GENIUS. Can't hunt down your waiter but you reallllly need some more ssamjung (aka awesome) sauce? DING! And he/she appears and the wait is over. Fabulous.

#2: The doctor. Yesterday I went in, had no appointment, waited for maybe 15 minutes, saw the doctor, had a test done and was out the door and to the pharmacy next door in under 40 minutes. Got my drugs in less than 5 and spent a total of about $12. Ohhhh yes, you read that right. Doctor's visit, 45 minutes, $12. Hell yes. Also, I needed to come back for another test and made an appointment for the next day. Glorious.

#3: $5, no prescription birth control. I'm telling you, the medical business here has got it's shit together. I love it. Plus it helps to have insurance for once, I guess.

#4: Gimbap! It's cheap, it's healthy and fast. I made some of my own the other day (I used rice from school) but decided that for only $1.50 a roll, it's not really worth the headache it takes to make it. It's not that hard, but it's a lot of ingredients to gather.

#5: Public transportation. The subway here is heavenly. You can get anywhere and it's so lovely and clean. And if not the subway, the buses. I usually stay away from the buses, but I know they are helpful.

#6: FIREWORKS FESTIVALS!!!! Oooh man, the festival was so amazing on Saturday. Two hours of some of the coolest fireworks I have ever seen. I was so happy! There is another festival further south in a few weeks and I want to go sooooo bad, but I don't know if I can afford it. Boo! We'll see.

#7: Galbi. Holy crap, it's so delicious. I would eat it every day if I didn't think it would give me a heart attack.

#8: KPOP! How have gotten this far in life without it? I don't know, but I'm so glad I found it. Randomly, I also learned a new way to tie a plastic bag the other day and it has really changed my life for the better.
Thanks, Korea!

#9: My precious apartment. I've had a run of problems with it lately, but it is still super cute. And I think most of the problems are fixed now, so other than the stupid bar underneath it, I love it! I think it's all the fake flowers that really do it for me.

annnd, #10: Little kids singing and dancing to Gangnam style. Tooooo funny. Not the best I've seen, but it's hard to catch them in action. Sneaky little boogers.


.
Ummmmm, there are a million other things that I can't think of at the moment, but bottom line: Korea is awesome. Come visit!

Dream big people! 

No comments:

Post a Comment