04 October 2012

Happy Chuseok!

Whew! This five day weekend just rocked my face off! It was a much needed break and the weather was SO amazing. It seriously just could not have been better. It was sunny and in the 70s the entire break..beyond awesome. And apparently very rare, so I am really happy.

My break was jam packed with super fun things the entire time. I am kind of glad the trip to Japan didn't work out because the break was that great. Saturday I went to an art exhibit with a friend. That actually wasn't that great, but it was really entertaining. I should have guessed that it was going to be a mess, but I didn't really think about it. But lesson learned...do not go to art exhibits in Korea on a Saturday. We got tickets but had to TAKE A NUMBER and wait our turn to go into the exhibit. Like at a deli or something. We waited about an hour. Then, once we got in the exhibit, it was a total madhouse. There were kids and strollers everywhere. Who takes an infant to an art exhibit?!?! I know Asian kids are a little ahead of the rest of the world but I just can't believe that Korean babies are interested in Greek mythology just yet. Also, you literally had to stand in line to view the artwork. And people were not respecting the line procedure. Not surprising, Koreans are not super into personal space. As in, you don't get any. This country is too small with too many people for that. But that is another post. Anyway, it was a little frustrating. Thank goodness we opted to get the audio tour because that made it at least entertaining. The English translations were hilarious. The exhibit was from the Louvre  and was all Greek mythology artwork, so it was interesting. But, I have been to the actual Louvre, and it was not nearly as expensive, crowded or as ridiculous as this exhibit. Whatever, my friend and I had fun and we got yummy sandwiches after, so it was fine. Again, lesson learned. No art exhibits in Korea unless it is something really interesting. And even then I might have to play hooky to go see it turning the week.

Sunday I went to Everland!!! It is like the Korean Disneyland, but with way more entertaining snack venues and a far less cool parade. It pretty much just copied Disney..even it's mascots are just like Korean versions of Mickey and Minnie...just with weird names. It was a lot of fun though. I went with a different friend and we had a great time wandering around and cracking up at various things. The most entertaining, by far, was the sloth exhibit. I think they would have been boring by themselves, but I guess it was like, sloth movement time because the zoo keeper was there, literally moving them and stretching out their limbs. I don't know that much about sloths, but after some wikipedia research, they are legit just super lazy blobs. It was so hilarious to watch them. On a less funny note, the polar bear exhibit there was extremely depressing. There is not even any shade for them and the cage is sooo tiny! Poor things are probably so hot! Anyway, we cheered ourselves up with soft serve, which was next to the "Peanut Buttered Roasted Squid" snack stand. Had to pass on that, though it sounds delicious. We also did a safari tour and saw a real live Liger! "It's pretty much my favorite animal." They also had descriptions of all the tigers on the wall while you were in line and they said things like "Yoon Hung-leader of the action tiger committee." Umm, what? Tigers have committees? I don't remember them all, but they were very funny. We also went on a ride called "Human Sky," which was the lamest air lift thingy I have ever been on, but the name made it awesome. Hmmm, we are putting humans in the sky...what to call it??? HUMAN SKY! PERFECT!

Slothing Around

Human Sky!



We also caught a Korean drum/tae kwon do show that was one of the coolest things I've ever seen. I love the Korean drumming by itself, but this was also a show with dancing and fighting. Like a Korean West Side Story. Amazing! They did a little Gangnam style and everything! You can't escape it here! I could go on forever about Everland, but to sum up: super fun, fantastic weather, amazing company, excellent day. The end.
Drumming and Tae Kwon Do


Liger! It's real!

Not sure why I didn't buy this. Big mistake. 

Monday was yet another amazing day and some friends and I rented bikes and cruised along the Han River in Seoul. The bikes were a total mess, all rusty and beat up, but they worked and it was fun. Like everywhere else, the bike path was jam packed, but thankfully there were no accidents. I did almost clothesline someone by attempting to ride with no hands, but they swerved. The rest of the day was spent enjoying the good weather, good company and later on, good food. Galbi! Duh.

Most fucking awesome weather ever.

Tuesday we went out to the west coast, played around in the mud flats, hunting fiddler crabs. Weren't too successful with that so we moved on to the boardwalk type area. It was a little on the ghetto side, but they did have this entertaining carnival ride. I can't even explain it really, but it was hilarious to watch. It was kind of like a deejay was in control of this spinny thing....annd, I really just don't have words to explain it. Sorry.

"Myland" 

On the hunt for fiddler crabs. Fail. 

More fucking awesome weather. 

Finally, Wednesday was RAY DAY!!!!! It was sooo great! Much better than I could have imagined and I am so so so SO happy it was able to happen. His mom was grateful and I was grateful and Ray was precious and the whole thing was so fantastic. A little heartbreaking at the end because Ray threw a fit because he didn't want to say goodbye...he really wanted me to come play with his dinosaurs at his house! I wasn't able to do that, but his mom wants us to get together again, which I really hope happens! I was right about the other moms not being very nice to him, which makes me so sad, and a little angry, but I think it worked out ok in the end. Maybe the classroom was not the best environment for him and now we can have some one on one time!! The most important thing is that his mom (and him) knows that jacky teacher, if no one else at the school, loves him and thinks he is one precious child. Sadly, she was under the impression no one liked him so thank goodness at least that was cleared up. There were some tears (not just from Ray!) but in the end, it was so great and I am so thankful it happened. Hooray Ray Day! Hopefully there will be more!!!

<3 td="td">

love love love

And just when I thought things couldn't get better...it's already Friday AND pay day. And as a SUPER added bonus, there is a fireworks festival on Saturday!!!!!! MY FAVORITE!!!!! Hope the weather stays amazing!

Dream big people!

No comments:

Post a Comment