30 June 2009

Amore

VENICE. Oh my goodness people, you have got to get yourself there if you have never been. I really think it might be my favorite place in the world. For sure in the top three. It is truly like being in a fairy tale with the canals and little secret passageways through buildings and the little bridges. And the 50 bazillion tourists. All of it is so so cool. The tourists, not so much, but there are places you can find with less peopel. Being there this time was sooo different from last time I was there, but it was just as fabulous. There were 8 of us that stayed in the hotel together and then went into Venice for Saturday and Sunday. I was the lone loser that couldn’t make quite make it there Saturday morning and had to go separately a little later in the day. A little too much Prosecco for this goober the night before. But, I pulled it together and met up with everyone. I am actually kind of glad I went later because when everyone else left, it was pouring and it suddenly got beautiful when I went. Also, everyone else was anti-water bus because it was a little pricey. I, however, knew it was totally worth it and hopped on one to meet them in Piazza San Marco. I love LOVE being on the water and the water bus is sooo stinking cool! And you get a great view of the city. I took a little video for you lovely folks, so you could feel like you were there with me. It’s kind of lame, but I’m going to share anyways. What you don’t see in the video is the Italian couple making out in front of me for a good ten minutes. Sad, I know. Anyways, after my bus ride, we basically just wandered around acting like American fools, buying ridiculous souvenirs, eating as much gelato as possible, and finding shade to sit in. We also did a little dancing in the streets to the late, great Michael Jackson. Man in the Mirror sounds so much better when strolling down the Grand Canal.



After an extensive amount of strolling and gelato, we headed back to the hotel to rest up and then hit the town. The hotel was right outside of Venice, by the train station and we were convinced no one lived in the town because we could not find a bar or anything open for a good mile or so. I should have known better because EVERY Italian city, no matter how small, has a hopping piazza somewhere! So we finally found it, found a cool bar and just had a super good time. (Don’t worry, I controlled myself and was up and ready to go the next morning.) It was a slightly bizarre evening, involving a lengthy debate about whether or not Tupac is considered a legend (he shouldn’t be), but it was still really fun.

Sunday, it was back to Venice for more random wandering. Both days were super hot and crowded, but this day was slightly worse because we had to carry our bags around with us. But whatever, it was Venice. I sucked it up. Sadly, we had to say goodbye to three of our friends so they could go back to their camps, so we had a little tearful moment thrown in there, but we got some gelato to cheer us up and carried on. I was a little upset because I kind of wanted to have some purpose to our wandering, but no one else seemed interested in that, so I just let it go. Purpose involved money and line-waiting, which normally I’m against, but I really wanted to go back into San Marco (the actual church) but the line was ridiculous. I’ve been in it before, so I was ok, but I really wanted everyone else to experience it…it’s unreal in there! Oh well, I’ll just have to go back again sometime! Also, no one wanted to go on a gondola ride because it was too expensive. If only they knew how awesome it is! Sad times for them, but I’ve done it before, so whatev.

So that was my weekend. To sum up: I love Venice and need to find a gondolier to marry so I can live there forever and go to Christmas mass at San Marco. I am also still upholding my stipulation of getting engaged there. If I get asked anywhere else, I’m going to have to say no. Sorry fellas, I don’t come cheap.

Anyways, only four more days of camp and then it’s off to Greece! Craziness! Italy has gone by SO fast! I am going to miss it and definitely all the cool people I’ve met. But I’ll cry about that later….time for dinner…pesto pasta, my favorite!

PS-Click on the link (the blog title...amore) for photos....they are at the end!

1 comment:

  1. Jacky,
    This is a silly request amidst all the wonderful subject matter you are entertaining us with, but I vote that you return to sans-seriff font--much easier to read.

    ReplyDelete