23 February 2010

Yikes

I don't know how I haven't commented on this already because I have been thinking about it for quite some time now.



The new 'We Are The World' video. At first, I was really pumped about it. Like, really pumped. I thought it was such a cool idea that they were going to re-do it. For the most part, I am all for covers and remakes because I think it's interesting to put a new spin on things and sometimes (rarely) the new version is even better than the old. For example, in my humble opinion, I think Rufus Wainwright's version of 'Hallelujah' is better than Leonard Cohen's original. [Seriously, that's just me, no one freak out...Cohen's version is still awesome]. ANYWAYS-I was excited about this new version. However, after seeing it for the first time I was severely let down. And a little disgusted. I mean, they started off with Justin Beiber. He wasn't even around for the original! Whatever, technically, I wasn't either, but I at least had been conceived. I guess he's ok (who am I kidding, I freaking love 'One Time') but maybe shouldn't have started the whole thing off. Anyways, I watched it again and decided maybe it wasn't so terrible. The original is still a thousand times better, duh. But, this new one is decent. I read somewhere that Lionel Ritchie didn't use the original people because he wanted to make it relevant to 2010. And I'm sorry, but Lionel, I don't really think you are relevant to 2010. At least not musically. 'All Night Long' was quite some time ago my friend. There were a few rando's thrown in there too, I think. Also, Wyclef Jean's part makes my ears bleed a little. I personally think it would have been pretty awesome to have the original people do it again. Most of them are still alive and most of them are still kicking it in the music scene. The Boss? He's still out on tour!

My final thought is this: Good idea. Maybe a little too many artists thrown in there. The original definitely trumps. I LOVE the Haitian kid dancing towards the end. And good call throwing Vince Vaughn in there as the random, non musical person looking dorky in the back (ie-Dan Akroyd). Lastly, I think everyone should have been wearing silver MJ gloves as a tribute.

No comments:

Post a Comment