11 May 2011

Party in the city where the heat is on


I had "Welcome to Miami" stuck in my head pretty much all day, every day, for the last five days. Which was perfectly fine because I was in Miami and it was amazing and it was fitting. But now, it's back to work and the song is just making me depressed.

But, let's not dwell on the fact that I'm back at work and it's lame and also a little chilly. INSTEAD-let us remember the good times that were had in Miami, because it was amazing and the weather was perfect.

Seriously, the whole trip was just so fantastic. I have been really lucky with my trips and the weather the last couple of times, so I'm very grateful. Bad weather makes me a super grump. But, the weather was great and it was so awesome to see my friends! Additionally, Miami is such a cool city, I ate lots of good food (and only gained .5 lbs! VERY surprised at that), danced my behind off, and spent most of my time at the beach. The beach is my absolute favorite place ever to be, so I was a very happy girl. And I know it makes me super vain, but I just love being tan...it makes me feel like a better version of myself and Miami made me a lovely brown color.

We had a few issues with customer service there...apparently gratuity is already added onto your bill at every restaurant, so they are pretty much just not concerned at providing good service. Which, I understand because being a server sucks and if you don't have to work for a tip, why bother? But it's annoying for the customer that really would just like to be served in a timely fashion. Or at least acknowledge my presence, please. The people wandering around Miami are chill and nice, but people, in general, in the service industry, were not all that friendly. Quite the change from LA, where they hover and clear your plate the second you take your last bite. They're all fake nice but at least you're not constantly asking for a refill.

BUT-these silly people did not take away from the overall fantasticness of the trip. We ended up staying in a hotel the whole time (we had plans to stay with a friend of a friend...that was canceled last minute because of "security issues"...long story, really dumb) but it turned out to be a good thing because we were like, a 2 minute walk to the beach. Also, we were close to my high school friend who was randomly there the same weekend as well so it worked out nicely. We were also within walking distance to good restaurants (good food) and happening nightlife. We went to one slightly lame club, but the next night we went to the coolest club EVER! It had two rooms for dancing, a back room with a salsa band and a bar where people (that worked there) were dancing/pseudo-stripping/singing/playing mariachi music/paying tribute to Michael Jackson. It was beyond amazing. Possibly the best club I've ever been to. I can't express in words my love for salsa music and really, just Latin culture in general, so I was just bursting with happiness. I really need to learn Spanish. One, because I just might want to move to Miami. Two, because lots of cute guys speak Spanish and three, I was embarassed for myself when people would speak to me in Spanish and I had to answer in English.

This post is getting long and I'm not sure that people really care, so I'll wrap it up. Monday we went to the zoo and it was blazing hot. But, it was really fun and there were "cool zones" with mist machines all over the place, which I'm pretty sure were for little kids, but I was having a blast with them. I also got to feed a giraffe and see lots of cool animals. Including this goober, who was catching fruit and impressing the shit out of me. I forgot his name but he weighs 450 pounds!


Overall, the trip was great. I highly recommend Miami to anyone that is thinking of taking an awesome vacation in the near future. I was not happy to come back to LA, where it was raining and freezing when I landed. But, I'm going to Universal Studios on Thursday, instead of going to work, so I should probably stop complaining.

Dream big people!

1 comment: