27 October 2011

LA

Whoa. This is really happening, I am really moving out of LA. Not just for a vacation. For good. For now, anyway. In one week I will be at home. Crazy.

But, oh boy, what a long strange trip it has been. LA is seriously nuts. I mean, I don't think you can truly understand it's insanity unless you've been here. And, besides that, you don't even really understand unless you live here. AND-just to keep going...I think you don't even realize how crazy it is unless you  are not from here and/or have also spent a significant amount of time somewhere outside of LA. But then again, maybe it's just me.

It really is kind of hard to pin point just what is so strange about LA. I found a quote by David Bowie that comes close: "Being in LA is like being in the set of a movie you didn't want to see in the first place." That kind makes sense. And it's not necessarily all in a bad way either because I've had A LOT of fun here. I moved here to have an adventure and man, what an adventure it has been. I was extremely lucky for so many reasons out here and I have pretty much done and seen everything I wanted to see. The only thing I feel I truly missed out on is California Adventure. And maybe the Hollywood Bowl. But,I was lucky to find a job right away, to find such good friends, to have a job that lets me do all the fun things for free, to manage to get around ok carless, the list goes on and on. I can't even really begin to list all the good times, but I'll hit some highlights.

First off, I got to FREAKING MEET ELLEN. TWICE. I mean, how often do people actually get to meet their favorite celebrity/hero? Twice! And just meet them, but also get to make an appearance on national television (and YouTube) AND win cool shit! I don't think it happens that often. On top of that, the experience was taped and documented so generations to come will be able to the enjoy the amazingness that was "Who Dat." Surreal. Just surreal. And fantastic. Really. The book signing was not quite as exciting, but it was still pretty cool.

I also got to see my favorite singer in concert! As well as the person that sings my favorite song! Which I think is really cool because, one, he's old as the hills and two, I don't really have too many absolute favorites where I'm like, it would make me SO happy to see these people, but the two that are at the top of the list, I got to see. LUCKY. AMAZING. FANTASTIC!

Whew, I'm getting excited just thinking about all the good times. But it doesn't end there.

I went to Disneyland three times! I got to go to the happiest place on Earth three times! All for free! I mean, can't beat that! I also went to all the major amusement parks for free, which is pretty cool as well. Six Flags is a little intense for me, but Hurricane Harbor was nice and fun and Universal Studios was pretty entertaining as well.

Dodger's games were also great fun and freeee! I never knew I was such a fan of baseball, but I've got a shirt and a hat now so I'm pretty much die hard. The Lakers game was not quite as exciting, but still a good time. I hit up pretty much all of the major LA sports games, being the avid sports fan that I am. The Galaxy game was surprisingly a lot of fun and the Kings was surprisingly cold. Though it shouldn't have been because if I had any sense I would have known that being in a stadium filled with ice would be chilly and I should have taken a jacket.

And as much beef as I have with Santa Monica, it is, for the most part, gorgeous. If anything, LA is ascetically pleasing. The PCH is by far my favorite part of LA and driving onto it from the California incline is probably my top activity. Driving on the PCH in general is one of my favorite things to do and is something I'll miss for sure. The sunsets are some of the best I've seen and though the Pacific is freezing and dirty, it's pretty and combined with the ridiculously (almost scary) tall palm trees here, it makes for fantastic pictures.

I've done so much here that I can't really think of anything there is left. A few other things I didn't really get to do that I wanted was go to Mexico and Alcatraz. But I can live with that. Things in LA proper, I think I got it covered. Now all I have left to do really is eat a bunch of fantastic food I can't get back East. Shouldn't be that hard. I've got tons of friends that like to eat. There is a reason we're friends. :) And the friends are definitely the best part of my LA experience. I have met such great people from literally, all over the world and have made some great friends...best friends even. I am very very thankful.

One week. See you soon Charleston. Enjoy me while you can LA.

Dream big people.

No comments:

Post a Comment