01 March 2012

Holiday

Today is the Korean Independence Day, so we have the day off from school. I slept until noon and it was fantastic. There is nothing I love more than sleeping and when you're sick, it's really the best thing you can do. I did venture out last night, though, and went to a "foreigners" bar with another teacher and met some of her friends. A lot of them are pretty hardcore into running, cycling, other sorts of extreme exercise sorts of things so I was feeling a little lazy. I mean, I don't really consider myself a lazy person, but compared to these people and their hikes and rides and blah blah blah, I am a couch potato. Guess what, don't care! I got pretty tired of hearing about it, actually. Whatever, most of them were nice and I ate a very delicious hamburger so no complaints here. Oh, well one complaint actually. Ok, so apparently Korean cab drivers don't like to give rides to people that are not going very far, aka won't have a high fare. So, when we left the bar, there are literally, 20 cabs in the street and none of them will give us a ride because we're only like, 5-10 minutes away. It was so bizarre. One, it pissed me off and two, it makes no sense to me that a driver would rather sit and wait on a bigger fare than take what is ready to go. It seems to me that they would just charge more for the short rides and/or drive really slow and make the drive longer. OR, they could just take the ride and come back. Apparently they are waiting on riders that are going back to Seoul, which is like 30 minutes. But that also seems strange to me because if you live in Seoul, I don't know why you would come here to go to a bar. We finally convinced someone to take us, but it was after a good 20 minutes of standing in the cold. So that sucked. Whatever.
I did venture out a little today and went back to the Korean won store. I managed to control myself, somewhat. I think I would have bought more stuff if it hadn't been a million degrees inside the store. I was dying! I dont' see how the people that work there stand it! You know me, I would rather be hot than cold anytime, any day but it was seriously uncomfortable. But, I did get some super cute stuff! I got a little trash can that says "Smile Day!. Please show me your bright smile all the time." Ok, trash can, I will! And, there precious little notebooks...there's four and each one says something different. "A giraffe has a long neck. A lion has a magnificent mane. A elephant has a long trunk." And my favorite, "A ostrich has a beautiful double eyelid." I have never seen an ostrich in person, but a double eyelid does not sound beautiful at all. My bigger notebook also has random sayings and cute animals. Everything here is so cute and positive, it's fantastic.

It was actually somewhat nice outside today (not freezing!) so I went and sat down by the river, which is right across the street from me. Then I came home, cleaned up, put away my new purchases and made spaghetti for dinner. It wasn't great...edible, but I've definitely had better. Some olive oil might have helped things...as well as a bigger pot. I also did some lesson planning. I am feeling a bit overwhelmed with all the lesson planning but I think I am just going to have to see how things go the first weeks.

Anyway, the kids are coming with their parents tomorrow so I have to be happy and friendly tomorrow. Which should be no problem for me, hahaha. I had a genius moment today when I figured out I could mix my cappuccino mix with hot milk instead of hot water and it was so tasty....so I have that to look forward to tomorrow morning so hopefully things will get off to a good start. Should be an interesting day. I also get internet installed tomorrow afternoon and I'm super excited! Who wants to Skypppeeee?? And I'll put up some more pictures then.

Dream big people!

No comments:

Post a Comment