23 March 2012

Thank you for the food

Only not really. I am getting more and more disillusioned with the Korean lunch food. Again, I try to sample most of it, but sometimes it's just really sketch/unappetizing looking and I can't do it. Yesterday, for example, we had stir fried baby octopus:

And it looked straight up disgusting and I didn't want to try it. I've had octopus before...it didn't look like that, it was cut up in much smaller pieces and was in spaghetti. That was in Greece and I didn't really like it then either. It's too chewy. Anyway, definitely wasn't trying this...especially since I'm pretty sure you can see it's brain in that first picture. No thank you. However, we did have some sort of yummy rice cake thing with jelly today. Wednesday we had cream puffs for snack and they were fabulous. I ate like, 10. And then I stole 4 and took them home. I don't feel bad taking from the school because they are the ones not paying me until April. Also, yesterday we had doughnuts that tasted like hushpuppies with sugar on top, so I only ate one. And Tuesday we literally just had a plain baked potato. For snack, at 9:30 in the morning. No salt, butter, sour cream, nothing. I didn't eat that at all, so I think it all balances out.

I also had "real" Korean BBQ last night and it was, sadly, not as delicious as the Korean BBQ in LA. It was also more expensive and there was less of it. Also, people were smoking in the actual restaurant and that was not pleasant at all. Especially since there is already a ton of smoke from the grill. Oh, at Korean BBQ, you cook the meat yourself at the table, btw. That's why there's a grill. This place was a little different from LA though, in that they give you lettuce to make wraps with the meat. So those were pretty tasty...but really messy and kind of hard to eat.

Oh yeah, and the other weird thing this week. So we have to do a fire drill sometime in the near future with the kids and they are making us evacuate to the roof. The ROOF! What the hell?! Makes zero sense to me...and the rest of the foreign teachers. We all made a big stink about it at our meeting and then we got a memo giving the following reasons as to why we have to go to the roof and not downstairs:

"1. Smoke is the worst damage from the fire especially in the building so it's the best to get fresh air for everyone asap. (Roof is the nearest place that we get fresh air).
2. Going to the 1st floor is a very long way especially for the kids.
3. This building is built out of concrete not out of wood, so there's no possibility for this building collapsed by fire so it will be fine to move to the roof and wait there until they put out the fire."

I love that third one the best. It was claimed that the fire department was contacted about this matter, but I'm not so sure. I am no expert, but going somewhere you can essentially be trapped does not seem like a good idea. Again, not an expert, but I'm just saying...if there is ever an actual fire, I am grabbing as many kids as possible and heading downstairs.

That's it for Korean strangeness this week. Going on a bus tour Sunday...can't wait to see what that brings!

For now, enjoy this fantastic video of my kids singing their "thank you" song. I guess it's kind of like a prayer before eating. See if you can spot the goober that NEVER seems to get the memo about uniform day, and the crazy child that always seems to be off in his own world. Hint: he's waving a fork around. And FYI, Kate teacher is the assistant that gives out the food. I wish I could video them all day, every day. They are too funny and cute. I am going to try to get some dancing soon. Enjoy!

Dream big people!

No comments:

Post a Comment