08 March 2012

Jacky Teacher

That is my new name and I kind of love it. We've had 3 days of class now and things are not terrible. It is still a little chaotic and I don't really ever know what is going on, but the kids are SUPER cute. Well, most of them. We have one that is just too cool for school and she gets on my nerves. We have another that is terrible, but he is really cute and a total goober, so I like him.

The real problem with the class is that everyone is just all over the place and on different levels. We have one or two kids that can write their name, know their ABCs, colors, shapes...one child counted to 50 for me! And then we have some that can't hold the pencil properly. There's one or two that I don't think actually know their English name and another couple that have a hard time even doing repeat after me things. So it's a challenge to keep everyone focused...or just get them focused in the first place.

But, again, they are SO cute, so it's hard to love them. Yesterday was P.E. day so they all had to wear their matching gym uniforms. Adorable. And today was Uniform Day so everyone was wearing their fancy matching uniforms...except one kid, I don't think he got the memo. Poor Andy, not only was he not matching with the rest of the students, but he has the worst haircut I've ever seen in my life. Apparently my principal thinks otherwise because she was in the room with me today and she's like, "Oh, that Andy has a really cute haircut, don't you think?" I just smiled and nodded.

I feel like my day is pretty much like teaching first grade, only with some odd Korean things mixed in. Mainly the food, I guess. We have to eat in the classrooms because there is no cafeteria and rice gets everywhere. They gave us the menu for the month and there are some interesting things to look forward to in the next few months. Just to name a few: Shepards Purse Pie, Fried Lotus Root, Anchovy Panbroiling, Quail Eggs in Soy Sauce, Broiled Fish Sausage, Walleye Polluk Soup. Yummmy. I'll let you know how those turn out. In addition to rice and soup, they have kimchi every single day. Usually it's just regular kimchi, but there are some variations including, radish cube, white, radish, cucumber, and broiled. I never eat the kimchi, it's too spicy but it's pretty popular here. Apparently they eat it for breakfast sometimes. Delish! We also have a snack every morning. Yesterday was a sweet potato, today was sweet pumpkin porridge and tomorrow is a cream puff. Snack always has a juice to go along with it, and there are some interest variations of that as well....black soybean, mango, plum, aloe and corn. Corn juice sounds pretty disgusting but I'm going to try it because I've decided to try everything.

They also brush their teeth after lunch. I personally think this is a huge waste of time, but whatever. Gives me a little extra time to take a breather, so I'm not complaining. A friend told me their toothpaste doesn't have fluoride in it, so it makes it even more of waste. Oh well. Everyone also has to change into "inside" shoes for the day, so everyone has a set of inside shoes at the school that they put on each morning. I have a pair as well...they just look like pink adidas sandals. It's kind of nice though, I don't have to worry about my shoes matching my outfit. I also don't have to wear my winter boots all day, which is great. They are great for keeping my feet warm outside but they get a little too toasty indoors.

I really only ever eat Korean food at lunch. The area I live in is very wealthy and is known for it's "Cafe Street" which is a lot of really good non-Korean food. Last night I had some yummy Italian and had dessert at Coldstone. I want to try more good Korean (not cooked in mass quantities) but I am going to have to venture outside of my city for that.

Anyway, here are some pictures of the kids. See if you can find the bad haircut. Enjoy!



Dream big people!

No comments:

Post a Comment