22 February 2011

Porches are the best

It's true. You really haven't lived until you've sat on a porch on a beautiful Charleston day. And for an even bigger treat, take a nap there. Heaven.




This is me, sitting on the back porch, enjoying the beautiful weather, not wanting to go back to LA.

I seriously could not have asked for a more perfect weekend. It was the absolute best. I got to spend time with amazing friends and family I hadn't seen in a long time, ate fantastic food, got cute new clothes, saw my favorite Michael Jackson cover band and enjoyed the beautiful weather. This weekend made me question why I left in the first place. I may just be in a vacation fog, so check back with me in a week or so..but for real. I dare anyone to come to Charleston and not fall completely in love with it. That song that goes, "nothing could be finer than to be in Carolina..." is 100% true. There are a lot of really great things about LA but I guess it's called home sweet home for a reason. Absence makes the heart grow fonder and all that jazz.

I think I'm feeling a little sentimental for a lot of reasons, so I'll stop with the emotional stuff. For anyone that would like a more extensive recap of the weekend, continue on.
I had a completely ridiculous flight plan getting here...LA to Portland, Portland to Atlanta, Atlanta to Charleston. Extensive, I know, but it wasn't terrible. I think I prefer an all day flight to an overnight flight. I pretty much lose a day either way, and I never sleep on a night flight so it wasn't bad. Plus, I've done the red eye twice and was too tired to function when I landed. Plus, I had Chick-Fil-A waiting on me when I landed, so it was well worth it.

Thursday was a beautiful day and my mom and I did some extensive shopping and ate a Charleston Chicken Roller, which is my favorite kind of roller. I finally got some much needed new jeans, cute shoes, dresses, all kinds of goodies. And a pedicure! Haven't had one of those in forever. Dinner was on my favorite island, Sullivan's Island, for a lovely meal with a friend and my dad and step mom. Enjoyed a nice hamburger, caught up with the fam, strolled on the beach, it was awesome.

Friday was more shopping, another yummy lunch (divine chicken salad at the ham store), ran into old friends , enjoyed the sun at the new Waterfront Park, saw my friend at Curves and shopped a little bit more. Friday dinner was seafood!!! Obviously, I got crab legs and she-crab soup and sampled a little bit of whatever everyone else was eating. More friends, more family, so perfect. We also went to see a friend's band play and hung out with even more friends! The band played my jam and then we headed downtown for some drunken fun. I felt a little old at some of the bars in downtown, just because it was a lot of CofC students, but we went back to a friend's house and had fun there. I tried to play asshole but it's pretty much the most confusing drinking game I've ever attempted. My "guess the number I'm thinking of" game is a lot easier to explain and understand, but whatever.

Saturday morning was kind of a struggle, but I powered through and that afternoon an aunt and uncle I hadn't seen in waaay too long came with their beautiful daughter, who I met for the first time! We enjoyed MORE fabulous weather (seriously, it was beyond perfect) on Shem Creek with MORE fabulous seafood (crab cakes, she-crab soup, crap dip, crab stuffed mushrooms, coconut shrimp. No lie, that is what I ordered. My mom and I just split a bunch of appetizers), and it was back to downtown for WHO'S BAD. Yes, that really happened. Thanks to my printed boarding pass with "Things to do in Charleston" list at the bottom, I found out. Then I lost my shit on the plane and then I told everyone I knew they had to go. It was a good crowd and they were awesome, as always. People were not as weird/emotional as the Hollywood show and I wasn't as weirded out. More friends, more cute boys, one SUPER cute boy, more drinking, more fun all around.
Sunday, again a struggle, but I pulled it together and enjoyed the MORE awesome weather downtown. Seriously, the weather was so fantastic, I'm going to stop talking about it because I know you're just so jealous if you're reading this. But for real. So great. Anyway, more shopping, Grouchos (HELL YES), strolling, sweet tea and then home for a lovely family dinner.
Then it was Monday, the day I had been dreading. Time to leave. Sadness to the max. At least there was....you guessed, really awesome weather. And Chick-Fil-A! A fantastic end to the best weekend of all time. And to top it all off, everything went fine with my flights. Can you believe it? No delays, no missed connections, no lost baggage, no crying babies, no crying jacky, no security hang-ups, it was a flying miracle.
And then, the worst day of all, Tuesday came and I had to go back to work. Biggest frowny face ever. No more talking. Let's just re-live the memories of the great weekend. Go ahead, re-read this post. I'll wait.
Ok, dream big people!

1 comment: