22 April 2011

Boo

http://jezebel.com/#!5793550/capture-the-flag-puts-our-children-in-danger

This article makes me so depressed. It basically says that all outside games involving any type of contact and/or fun have been deemed "unsafe" by the health department. I'm sorry, but that is just truly sad and horribly lame. There is some other stuff about what the point of all that is for, but I honestly feel sorry for kids these days. I know I sound ridiculously old saying that, but come on! You can't do anything these days without it being politically incorrect. And I am all for facebook and the internet and video games, but there needs to be a healthy balance.

Actually, I really don't know that much about how kids are now...I was actually thinking about that last night. I have some "kid" age cousins, but I don't really see them very often or keep up with their daily lives and I don't think I even know anyone under 18 here in LA. Kind of strange since I had some sort of kid interaction up until I moved here. Kids can be super duper annoying, but they can also be hilarious and fun, and waaaaayyy less difficult to deal with than whiny ass, rich non-English speaking adults.

Anyway, back to my point. I grew up going to camp and I truly believe it is the greatest thing in the world. I LOVED going off to Camp Cherokee every summer and always had the best time singing songs, playing ridiculous games, sleeping in a cabin, and doing loads of other completely nonsensical activities. I loved it so much I was a counselor there for 3 years and then moved on to another camp, Camp Greenville. I seriously cannot say enough good things about my experiences at both of these places and therefore think the YMCA is the greatest institution the US has to offer. I am not even kidding, people. Here's how much I love it:

"From a thousand Y camps round the world, you can hear our happy cry (hey hey)
We work and play the whole day through, as we grow proud and strong
Growing body, mind and spirit too, building friendships day by day,
We are mighty proud to be a part of the GREAT Y-M-C-A!"

I still remember that song and I haven't sang it in probably, 10 years.

Even the time from when I was a camper to when I was a counselor was SO different. So many new rules and things you weren't allowed to do anymore. It's really just sad. They were things that were maybe not the greatest ideas in the world, but they never hurt anyone! Now, everything has to be about liability and one person getting hurt or offended ruins it everyone. Basically, no one wants to take responsibility for their kids (or themselves) being morons and when something goes wrong, they blame it on others. So then everyone else has to cover their asses, which means you aren't allowed to do anything fun anymore. Like play tag. I am still on the fence about having kids but I'm more on the no side because of crap like this.

Moving on. You know what else I think is sad? President Obama is in LA today and the news here is being really negative and whiny about it. I'm not even a huge Obama fan but I think it's pretty lame that the news can only focus on how many traffic delays he is going to cause. He's the fucking PRESIDENT of the United States. I feel like people used to be excited about this sort of thing and now they have people on the news saying, why isn't he taking a helicopter?! But of course, if he took a helicopter, people would be all, Why is he wasting our tax dollars on helicopters?! Also, news flash: the traffic sucks ALL THE TIME in LA. The President is delaying things by like, 10 minutes than what it would normally be. One more thing: You KNEW he was coming! Take an alternate route! Stay at home! Use it as your excuse for leaving early! Shut the fuck up! And him being a Democrat doesn't make him delay traffic more. Republican presidents delay traffic when they come into town too.

I don't know, the news today just really pissed me off. So damn negative. No need to put such a negative, rude spin on everything. He is still the President and I personally think it's still pretty damn cool he will be cruising past my neighborhood sometime tonight. And damn people, be glad you have a car to get stuck in traffic with.

Deep breath.

In other news: ZUMBA IS SUPER DUPER FUN. Also, I just booked a flight to Miami. SO PUMPED! For Cinco de Mayo! Also, my one year Ellen anniversary! Also, my four year college graduation anniversary! YAY YAY YAY!

Going through a my writing sucks phase. Sorry friends. More when I can do better.

Dream big people!

No comments:

Post a Comment