15 April 2011

Medicore

Yet another installment of, "is jacky crazy?" I still have never gotten any answer, so really, it could go either way. I guess it just depends on who you're talking to.

Today, I was browsing the internet, as I do when I complete all my tasks at work. (PS-if anyone has more internet browsing sites, pass them on. Mine are only good for an hour or so and I've got more time than that to kill) I came across an article about how all gyms are a lie and are scamming you, blah blah. I read some of it because I thought it would be more along the lines of, make the most out of your gym and not what it ended up being. Quick summary: working out at the gym is not as effective as hardcore free weights. Or something like that. Honestly, I lost interest. It was in Men's Journal, so I realize it wasn't really for me to be interested with in the first place, but some of it got me thinking.

Basically, this guy was saying he thought he was in shape but turns out, he wasn't because he went to this super hardcore work out session and was proved to be "as week as a little girl." Ok, why not as weak as a little boy..or just child, I don't know. Of course it's the girl that's weak, but whatever. He continued on, talking about how he could barely even do a simple back squat or something and OH, THE SHAME! He continued on some more about not being able to do things professional athletes are able to do. Here is my question: Am I crazy for wondering, if you are, in fact, NOT a professional athlete, is doing a back squat REALLY that important? Apparently, to him, it was. My problem is that he was SOOO dramatic about how this discovery like, ruined his entire existence and it's now his personal mission to expose the corrupt world of gyms. ( I agree to extent gyms are lame, but that's another post)

Anyway, next to that article, was an advertisement that said: Can YOUR dog surf? Like, wtf? No, my dog cannot surf. I don't even have a dog, but even if I did, I would not invest a lot of time into teaching it how to do things other than not pee on my carpet, not chew up my shit, and not slobber all over people. Those would be my dog objectives.

Here is my point: the internet and the media make me feel like I am just not good enough. Am I crazy for thinking I am mediocre and being ok. I think I am doing JUST FINE in life without being able to do a back squat or have a dog that surfs. Everything in the media is such bullshit and just when I'm thinking I'm doing ok, some news article likes to tell me differently.

Media world: YOU CAN'T WIN.

Real world: ARE YOU ALIVE? OK GOOD.

Seriously. I get up, I go to work, I laugh, I drink, I dance, I'm (usually) nice to people, I help out when I can. I am not trying to be bitter, I'm just saying. I think it's ok for people to live your life the best way you can, even if it's kind of mediocre. I am all for being extraordinary, but I don't like feeling inferior because my (nonexistent) dog can't surf, my (unborn) child can't play piano, and my (pretend) boyfriend isn't a superstar athlete...or can even do a back squat. I think you have to make the most of the opportunities you're presented with and figure out a way to use what you have.

Thankfully, I don't feel this pressure from actual, real people in my life, I just spend too much time on the internet. My own fault, I know. But trust me, I would much rather be doing work than browsing. I am just that good at my job and get done with everything quickly.

Another thing, am I crazy for being the only person who wasn't bullied as a child? That is the other thing I've been seeing a lot of lately. People overcoming their childhood tragedies of bullying and dealing with all the pain and suffering they had to go through. I feel awful for them and know kids can be mean as hell (camp counselor for 6 years, I know what's up), but I had a pretty decent childhood and actually had a lot of fun in high school. I wasn't really a dork, but I certainly was not popular and definitely was not one of the beautiful people. I did all kinds of goober things and somehow made it out unscathed. I don't know...maybe I blocked it all out. Or maybe I was cool and no one ever told me. Who knows.

Other, small am I crazy questions. Am I crazy for being annoyed when I'm trying to enjoy my lunch outside and people are asking me stupid questions like, "You like wearing perfume, right?" Ok, whatever, people are trying to sell crap but I'm sitting there, not near a store, wearing sunglasses AND headphones. I look like I'm not into talking to people, right? Also, if I say no, I don't like wearing perfume (I wear body splash..totally different), then don't follow up with, why not? Seriously. Just go away.

Am I crazy for getting REALLY annoyed when people don't respond to my texts/messages? I mean, if I ask a question, just answer me. Not that hard.

Last but not least: Am I crazy for loving THE HELL out of Slim Jims? They're basically sticks of meaty cholesterol, right? I really wish I could incorporate them into my diet. That would make me very happy.

Dream big people!

No comments:

Post a Comment