26 January 2011

Expensive Pleasures

Time for another installment of.....

Is jacky crazy?

Because I'm beginning to think maybe I am. Sometimes I think it's everyone else and other times I think it's me. Feel free to weigh in.

Oh yeah, "Expensive Pleasures" is the English translation of a Russian student's magazine. I find it hilarious.

So I went to this super random thing last night that involves a show and other details I'm (seriously) not legally allowed to talk about. Point is, I met people. Some of these people were very strange, in my opinion. And, like it always does, the fact that I don't have a car in LA (gasp!) was brought up and discussed at length. How do you survive?!?!?! Seriously? Survive? I'm sorry, but yeah it sucks A LOT not having a car, but it is nowhere close to being on the list of necessities for SURVIVAL. Get a grip people. Also, a lot of the people were "actors" which is basically code for unemployed douche bag so that's always annoying. Everyone was trying to outshine the other person, which I understand because that is I guess the only way you get anywhere in this redic town, but it gets old real quick.

The other thing that is almost guaranteed to come up when I meet new people is THE SOUTH. This crazy, mystical place that people have either: 1. Never been but heard things.... 2. Have briefly been for a weekend, pit stop, visit to their grandparents (in any state east of the Mississippi and below Pennsylvania, it's all the same) or 3. went to college there, but are originally from somewhere far superior. Needless to say, it's getting old having to dispel rumors that the South is sooooo different. I mean, don't get me wrong, there are differences for sure. But it's not a different planet over there. People are always, oh, it's so racist there, everyone is so racist, there is racism everywhere, blah blah blah. Obviously, I am not denying there is racism in the South or anywhere else in the US, but I would like to have some more specifics about where, how and when all this racism is happening. Have they experienced it personally? Have they witnessed it? Am I missing something? Am I crazy? I'm not part of a minority race so maybe I don't see it. I have an entire argument for the whole thing, but don't feel like now or here is the time for it. But feel free to discuss sometime.

Last but not least, am I crazy for wanting to leave LA? All these foreign kids are making me think I am. They are pretty convinced LA is the best and most fabulous place you could possibly be and I am out of my mind for thinking otherwise. I definitely can appreciate all LA has to offer and think it's a REALLY fun place to be. But there are a lot of things I am getting really tired of here. And I don't really think I would want to establish roots here. It is just a very stressful place to be and it was recently voted America's Rudest City. I'm not sure who voted and what it was based on, but I kind of feel the same way about that as I do about the South. There are FOR SURE rude ass people here, but guess what! There are rude ass people EVERYWHERE. Maybe because there are just so many more people here, the concentration of rude people gets overwhelming. I have met a lot of super nice people here. But, I will say that, in general, strangers I encounter are not all that friendly. A lot of people here are not interested in being "friendly" unless you can further their career somehow. Unless they want to learn English, I am of no use to them. I could go on forever. Point is, am I completely nuts for not being happy living in everyone else's dream world? Should I leave while it's good or wait because it might get even better?? So many options, no clue what to do with myself.

Oh wait, one more thing! Do I want to spend almost $400 on a short trip home? Damn you flying! You are, indeed, an expensive pleasure.

Please people, give me your thoughts. My own are of no use anymore.

Dream big people!

No comments:

Post a Comment